Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Dreaded Dentist

Oyy I knew I hated the dentist for some reason!  Little background - me, my brother and sister always hated going to the dentist, I guess I don't know why exactly, but needless to say I still hate it.  I started going to a new dentist that my hubby goes to and raves about.  He said they all make you feel so comfortable and everything, so I gave it a shot.  I went about 2 months ago and took our son, it really was painless and quick, and the hygenists were so nice.  And the actual dentist was a real doll, I really like it there, I do.  Until they told me I had 3 baby cavitites.  Are you serious?  I brush, I floss, I hardly eat a lot of candy or sweet drinks, how did this happen?  Oh well I pouted for a couple days and just scheduled an appointment to get them all done (I think its the shots that I used to hate that freaked me out).  So I told them I don't like dentists, I don't like shots, etc.  They numbed me to no end with some minty gel stuff and they were so gentle with the shots, it really wasn't a big deal.  It only took about 45 minutes and I was done.  I thought, well this isn't so bad.  

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago.  I was eating a crouton in my salad and my darn tooth gave me this awful pain where I had the filling done.  I just wrote it off as nothing.  A couple days later as I was drinking water (ice cold as usual) I got the same awful pain.  I knew I should make an appointment but I just didn't have the time to go, plus I didn't really want to.  Well since I was off of work with my hubbys surgery I figured I might as well just call to see whats up with the darn tooth.  Yeah well not so glad I did that, I now need 2 freakin crowns.  She said I must have had fractures in my teeth from grinding them and when they did the fillings the drill vibrations made the fractures worse so they only thing to do is crown them.  Well whoo hoo another $800 out of pocket.  I do have to say I am thankful for having insurance, but come on $800, that is a house payment!  Oh well, guess we can't win them all.  Anyways, I'm thinking of doing one at a time maybe one in November or so because its just very uncomfortable with the cold water hitting my teeth and then having to be careful what I chew. 

Well as I'm typing this our Tigers just lost the game to the Twins  :(  Now off to watch NCIS that I taped...mmm I love that show!

No comments:

Post a Comment